THE SONG OF THE TREE (2018) -PAID WITH BLOOD, SUNG WITH LOVE-
on 2 Jul 2019 at 16:00 in Congress Palace Screening room A
Directed by Aibek Daiybekov, The Song of the Tree is a wonderful mixture of genres: musical, drama, romance, adventure.
It participated in more than 20 international film festivals including BUSAN, BLACK NIGHTS, PALM SPRINGS and many others.
BEST FILM 17th DHAKA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
BEST OF FESTIVAL 2019 MINNEAPOLIS FILM FESTIVAL
GRAND PRIX 15TH KAZAN INTERNATIONAL MUSLIM FILM FESTIVAL
Original Language Title: ДАРАК ЫРЫ
Genre: musical, drama, romance, adventure
Running Time: 93 minutes
Language: in Kirghiz with English subtitles
Director: Aibek Daiyrbekov
Producers: Tolkun Daiyrbekova (Central Asia Film – Kyrgyzstan), Andrei Epifanov, Tanya Petrik (Cinetrain, Russia)
Principal Cast: Temirlan Smanbekov, Omurbek Izrailov, Saltanat Bakaeva
Cinematographers: Akzol Bekbolotov
Editor: Eldiyar Madakim
Music: Zholdoshbek Apasov
Screenwriter: Aibek Daiyrbekov, Sadyk Sher-Niyaz
The film talks about the life and tragedy of a Kyrgyz village, focusing on a simple young guy Esen who falls in love with Begimai, the daughter of a local lord. The dishonest tricks of his rival force Esen to take revenge. His anger results in a tragedy – destruction of a sacred totem tree. Hard trials are coming for everyone. Being expelled from his native village, he takes Begimai with him, but is overtaken and beaten almost to death. Esen is destined to find himself and his fate in order to reunite his people.
XVIII century. In a small village of nomads, there is a sacred tree, which holds the secrets of generations. Women pray here. The village is full of peace and grace.
The young man from a poor family (Esen) is in love with the daughter of the main bai of the village (Begimai), she reciprocates his love. But her father (Bazarbai) and his surroundings despise the young man and humiliate him at every opportunity.
One day Esen, angry after an unfair loss in the game, steals meat prepared for important guests, and gives it to his dog. There is a scandal in the village, it is impossible to cook another meal, there is no firewood. It is a shame for the owners. In order to cook the meat, they cut down the sacred tree for firewood.
Everything changes overnight, chaos ensues. The cattle is dead. The village is full of strife and death. The sacred tree takes revenge. It bleeds.
Esen and Begimai run away from the village. The main characters will wander, be reborn, meet, make fateful actions and change their lives and the lives of their people.
Aibek Daiyrbekov: THE SONG OF THE TREE is adapted from real stories that my grandmother used to tell me when I was a child. I shot this film with the same love and fascination as that of a boy listening to the stories of his grandma.
THE SONG OF THE TREE is a film about the love between a boy and a girl, a mother and her son and a man and his homeland. It is adapted from real stories that my grandmother used to tell me when I was a child. She is the granddaughter of the protagonists of these events. These stories are mythical and realistic at the same time – same stories happen during Soviet times and nowadays independent Kyrgyzstan. Mankind does not change through the centuries – men have the same feelings of love, hate, envy, pride or self-sacrifice now and few hundred years ago. The film doesn’t not use a lot of special effects but confides instead in the power of music. Songs are used when words are lacking. I shot this film with the same love and fascination as that of a boy listening to the stories of his grandma.
DIRECTOR’S BIO & FILMOGRAPHY
Date of Birth: May 16, 1979
(Director of “The Song of the Tree”)
Daiyrbekov who in February 2019 became the youngest president to date of Kyrgyzstan’s Film Union.
“The Song of the Tree” marks director Aibek Daiyrbekov’s feature debut. Previously, Daiyrbekov worked in television, serving as a director on the series Gorod Mechty (2009) and as a screenwriter for Gaishniki (2010).
• Graduated from film directors’ courses organized by the Cinematography Development Foundation of Kyrgyzstan, 2007-2008
• Graduated from the Kyrgyz National University named after Jusup Balasagun, faculty of journalism, specialization: TV journalist, 1997-2002
• Graduated from the technical vocational school №94, specialization: art-photographer, 1995-1996
• Participated at Berlinale Talent Campus at 58th Berlin International Film Festival, 2008
• Feature film “The Song of the Tree”, (Kyrgyzstan-Russia), scriptwriter and director, 2018
• Short film “Boat”, (Kazahstan-Kyrgyzstan), writer and director, 2016
TV series “Man history” (Kazahstan), director, 2013
• Short film “Three in the rain”, (Kazahstan-Kyrgyzstan), writer and director, 2011
• TV series “Janym” (Kazahstan), 2010
• Short film “Tree” (Tajikistan), scriptwriter, director, 2008
• Short film “The Shore” (Kyrgyzstan), scriptwriter, director, producer, 2006
MEDIA ABOUT THE SONG OF THE TREE (2018)
«impressive and involving debut feature»
“An unexpected collision of Eastern and Western storytelling, this fascinating curio is an absolute delight; a film of energetic ambition and charming sincerity .”
Little White Lies
“The Song of the Tree” Is Like “La La Land” With Central Asian Nomads
“ A Shakespearean play that revolves around several families of a nomadic Kyrgyz village. ”
– From Vcinema, a film website focused on Asian media and culture
https://www.cinemaescapist.com/2018/10/review-song-of-tree-kyrgyzstan-musical-movie/Parole e Colori
Bulles de Culture
La Colina de Raven
The Enigma of Arrival y su drama juvenil
Weibo Account of Luke Miao, Chief Editor of World Movie Report (Film Magazine on CCTV6) 1
Weibo Account of Luke Miao, Chief Editor of World Movie Report (Film Magazine on CCTV6) 2
Dianying Liao Yang Yuan
Asian Movie Pulses
Eye For Film
Bulles de Culture
Bulles de Culture
Beijing Youth Daily
White Little Lies
Take One Cinema
• 40th MOSCOW INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL April 19 – 26, 2018
• 23rd BUSAN INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL Oct 4-13, 2018
• 22nd POFF BLACK NIGHTS FILM FESTIVAL Nov 16 – 2 Dec, 2018
• 30th PALM SPRINGS INTERNATIONAL FILM SOCIETY FILM FESTIVAL Jan 3-14, 2019
• 17th DHAKA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL (DIFF) Jan 10 –18, 2019 BEST FILM
• CAMBRIA FILM FESTIVAL Feb 7-10, 2019
• GLASGOW FILM FESTIVAL 20 Feb-3 March 2019
• KOSMORAMA TRONDHEIM INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL 4-10 Mar 2019
• 43rd CLEVELAND INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL 27th March – 7th April 2019
• MINNEAPOLIS FILM FESTIVAL Apr 4-20, 2019 BEST OF FESTIVAL
• GO-EAST – FESTIVAL DES MITTEL-UND OSTEUROPÄISCHEN FILMS 10-16 Apr 2019
• TIBURON INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL Apr 12-19, 2019
• FAJR INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL Apr, 18-26, 2019
• 15TH KAZAN INTERNATIONAL MUSLIM FILM FESTIVAL Apr, 24-30, 2019 GRAND PRIX
• FILM FESTIVAL | CHINA FILM ARCHIVE, May, 18-19, 2019
• ASSOCIATION DU FESTIVAL DU FILM DE CABOURG, Jun 12-16, 2019
• MIDNIGHT SUN FILM FESTIVAL 12-16 Jun 2019
• 65th TAORMINA FILM FESTIVAL 30 Jun – 6 Jul 2019
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE FILM
The film is based on real events that took place in the mountains of Kyrgyzstan at the end of the 18th century with the ancestors of the director. During the famine in Kazakhstan their family migrated to Kyrgyzstan, but they were not allowed to put a yurt nowhere. They wandered until misfortune happened in one village. To avoid war, the head of the family sacrificed his life in exchange for having his family taken in and giving them shelter. The shooting took place in that exactly area, high in mountains, 4500 meters above sea level, where the tragic events occurred. The residents of local villages were filmed in crowd scenes.
Especially for the film young Kyrgyz composer Zholdozhbek Apasov wrote 17 original songs, 12 of which were included. The music contains elements of a Kyrgyz folk music, but it was written according to the canons of modern film music used in Hollywood. The refrain for the director and composer was the film “Les Miserables” (directed by Tom Hooper)
The film has a unique scene of the fall of a horse, in the creation of which no special effects were used.
Postproduction of sound was made at one of the best European studio complexes “Cinelab sound mix”.
It was originally planned to use the singing actors, but eventually all the songs were performed by famous singers from Kyrgyzstan.
More than 200 costumes were sewn for the film by hand. Part of costumes and decorations were taken from Bishkek museums. Also many actors and locals who starred in episodic and crowd scenes provided costumes of their ancestors, which they kept.